Charles Stanley & Co. Limited is one of the oldest firms on the London Stock Exchange. Its origins lie in a banking partnership established in Sheffield in January 1792. The bank prospered, and so did its Stock Exchange investment business. By the 1830s this had grown to the point where a Director was needed in London to handle it, so Charles Stanley came southwards. As the business grew it became recognised as a separate operation and in 1852 the name Charles Stanley first appeared as an independent member firm of the London Stock Exchange.